Universal Human Face Rig
IMPORTANT: Please read the product description carefully, and check the License Agreement before purchasing. Owners of both the Body Rig and the Face Rig will qualify for a free upgrade to the ready assembled Body & Face Rig (see details* below). Competence using Blender is recommended to fully benefit from this product.
NEW for Version 2.0: Reshaped head, remodelled eyeballs, dynamic wrinkles support** and lots of model, rig and UV improvements
Used independently or as a facial upgrade for the Body Rig*, this rigged head base mesh is the successor to the one that forms the basis of the Ed, Face Test and Eye Piece demos. With controls for easily customising and even animating skeletal proportions, it provides a flexible, human-shaped canvas for sculpting, texturing, posing and animating myriad expressive humans, humanoid creatures and stylised characters. All the painstaking rigging, weight painting, retopologising, shape key shaping and UV unwrapping has been taken care of for you, so you can skip straight to the fun stuff.
- A basis for sculpting and texturing new characters
- Posing for art reference and paint-overs
- Instructional presentations
- Pulling it apart to see what makes it tick
Race and Gender shapes are available separately, and can be mixed as per this early proof of concept:
- Designed to accommodate realistic character creation and animation
- Gender neutral base mesh, head averaged from 18 male, female, African, Asian and European likenesses of models and celebrities. Both genders can be enabled by applying one of the Male or Female head base meshes that are sold separately. Note: only the male OR the female is required - there is no need to purchase both.
- Face shapes based on muscle groupings (similar to FACS), with non-linear transitions for fluid, organic motion and discrete facial control
- On-the-fly customisable rig proportions; easily and non-destructively edit the size, position and orientation of the eyes, teeth, tongue, jaw, head, neck and clavicles
- Includes upper torso rig for standalone use
- Includes head and neck, eyeballs and teeth and tongue meshes
- UV mapped, ready for texturing
- Dynamic wrinkles node group** (wrinkle maps can be purchased separately as part of the Face Textures, or created from scratch using the instructions here)
- Lightweight mesh for responsive performance; poly count (before subdivision): head: 1,622 faces (quads); eyeballs: 644 faces (quads) each, teeth & tongue: 1,768 faces (quads)
- Topology optimised for animation and posing; edge loops follow wrinkles and muscular direction where possible, without compromising deformation quality
- All quads
- Compatible with Blender 2.79 and higher
- No script installations or add-ons necessary; just load and go!
- Tongue may appear to lag in Blender 2.79 viewport (no latency apparent in 2.8x or above)
- Certain face shape combinations may produce undesirable deformations, especially when combined with more unusual proportions. These can be countered by editing the shape keys directly, or adding corrective shape keys. The Face Rig Reference Chart can be used to help identify suspect shapes.
By purchasing or using this product, you agree to be bound by the conditions in the License Agreement.
For Frequently Asked Questions, documentation and more, visit the Universal Human website.
*For a complete human rig, see the Body & Face Rig. Owners of both the Face Rig and the Body Rig will receive a 100% off discount code which can be applied to the Body & Face Rig, provided both products have been purchased using the same Gumroad account. The codes have to be generated and sent out manually, so you'll need to send a code request to the address here (please allow up to a day or so for it to arrive). Those game enough to attempt a D.I.Y assembly while waiting can find the instructions here.
**Wrinkles nodes may be transplanted to the Skin Shader in future, if and when a tension-based alternative becomes available.